An annual snapshot of public opinion about Canadian agriculture and food.
As enthusiastic advocates for the Canadian Agri-Food sector, Grassroots Public Affairs is pleased to release our second annual agriculture and food research public opinion poll.
Our approach for 2020 includes COVID-19 pandemic-related food questions, as well as repeated questions from 2019 so we can measure any change in public opinion. Key findings for this year’s research include:
- 64% of Canadians believe that hunger and food insecurity will worsen in future as a result of COVID-19.
- 97% of Canadians trust the quality of food grown or produced domestically – an increase from 2019.
- 92% of Canadians endorse government support for the agriculture and agri-food sector.
- 62% of Canadians believe that temporary foreign workers should continue to come into Canada.
- 87% of Canadians believe that agriculture and agri-food is a leading economic driver in Canada, identifying the sector as the most economically important industry surveyed.
- 86% of Canadians believe that agriculture and agri-food plays a key role in Canada’s national security and critical infrastructure, with the sector coming second only to healthcare in terms of importance.
Other key findings include:
- Across the country more than one-in-six saying they have worked on a farm, in agriculture or in food processing.
- Canadians are more likely to grocery shop themselves as opposed to ordering-in, grabbing takeaway or using a grocery delivery service due to COVID-19.
- Canadians continue to hold overwhelmingly negative views towards food additives such hormones, pesticides, antibiotics and GMOs.
- The future of Canadian agriculture looks positive with a strong plurality believing that the industry is likely to grow as opposed to shrink or stay the same as it is today.
- Canadians continue to believe that the federal government should prioritize financial support for grains over livestock but support for proteins has increased in the past year.
Special thanks to Food Banks Canada for their participation.
You can read coverage of our poll findings by Bernard Tobin of Real Agriculture here.
We invite you to download and share the ‘Greenhouse’:Grassroots-Greenhouse-Agriculture-Poll-Findings-May-1st-compresed
For customized presentations on the findings please contact us by email at email@example.com
Stay safe and healthy,
Peter Seemann, President